Thursday, October 15, 2015

Putting the Cart Before the Horse:

Putting the Cart
Before the Horse:


You know that old saying, "Don't put the cart before the horse?"

Have you ever done it? Obviously I don't mean an actual horse and cart, but do something that seems kind of backwards?

 I've done it at least twice that I can recall. And both of those times involved major decisions or changes in my life.


The first time was when I was in my early to mid twenties. I was with my parents and they went to a car dealership to look at cars, there was a special, something along the lines of $XX of dollars down and $XX of dollars a month. I had no intention of buying a car, I was working part time and didn't think I could afford it.

NOT my car!
I was meandering around, trying to keep from being bored out of my mind, when I spotted an adorable little blue car. It seemed to be calling my name, and I went to look it over. The sales person started talking to me and the next thing I know, I'm the proud "owner" of a WHITE Geo Metro. It was in better shape than the blue one and it was the same price.

Now here's where the "Cart Before Horse" moment comes in...I DIDN'T have a drivers license, I didn't have insurance, and the only driving experience I had was from my sophomore year in high school when I took Driver's Ed through the school.

Within a month I had all of the above though, and my little Geo and I had lots of fun and interesting experiences! *those tales are for another day!*

Let's jump to September of this year. I had been seriously thinking about applying for a management position within the company I work for. Which means I would need new clothes, more professional/dressy looking than I normally have in my possession. But at the same time, I needed new work pants for the job I have now and new jeans for everyday wear. I allotted myself a clothes budget, and decided to go searching for the items I needed.

But what do I do instead? I walked into an AVENUE store because I had caught a glimpse of the sign in their window that said 50%. I hoped that I could find a couple of pairs of either pants that I needed and that it wouldn't break my budget. 

This is where the second "Cart Before Horse" moment comes in and where I finally figured out that I was being plotted against/for by Somebody. I've never been approved for an Avenue credit card, that day I was. Their sale was BOGO 50% off and they had jeans AND work pants! But instead of buying the work pants that I need NOW, I bought a beginning wardrobe for a position that I hadn't even applied for yet!


Well Lasses and Lads, what kind of "Cart Before Horse" moments have you experienced? Did they turn out for the better or not how you thought they would?


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment